Tuesday 27 October 2015

Short Novel: Why do we turn a blind eye to the world as we age?



Someone, somewhere, once asked a question.

Cicadas sang loudly and the air was warm and tiring. I was lying underneath the shadow of a lone oak on a grassy field. Occasionally, a cool breeze of air would whistle against my face, tingling against my hair. A ladybug was sitting on top of my nose, it tickled.

This was my little world. The mellow warmth of the air had seeped in my body from head to toes. Each breath of air was wonderful. The sweet scent of leaves lingering over the sun basked verdant field mellowed my senses like the sweetest nectar.

Sleeping there, basking in that little heaven; I opened my eyes, whispering: “Why can't people stop for moments like these when they grow older?”

A white line cut across the sky the moment that the last syllable of my question remained, lingering in the air. A freezing cold shiver pushed across my back, carried by a painful euphoria. I gasped. It felt like the whole universe had answered to my beseech of my secret wish; that this hidden world would not disappear when I'd become older.

- - -

Years passed, seasons changed. I don't remember much of my early childhood. But amidst the forgotten memories, ever since that day. That question and that wish has protected me.

Stopping every once in a while, here and there; finding the small miracles in the ordinary life. Even during hard times, I could still catch a glimpse of the sun with all the dark clouds.

Sometimes when I would find myself watching over a magical scenery, wondering – I whisper; asking a quiet question: “Was I the only one?” with a childish innocence.






No comments:

Post a Comment